NSFAS Requirements for Returning Students 2024-2025
NSFAS Requirements for Returning Students 2024-2025, NSFAS Academic Requirements 2024
Are looking for financial assistance with your tertiary studies as a returning student? If you are then, NSFAS is the right financial aid scheme to help you finance your studies. Here are the requirements you need to know as a returning student.
The National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) is a government grant that helps students who are poor to attend South African public universities or TVET Colleges.
Students who previously did not get support from the bursary scheme are also eligible for NSFAS funding in 2024.
What are the NSFAS Requirements for Returning Students?
To qualify for the NSFAS bursary for the 2024 academic sessions, each candidate must meet certain funding requirements. Therefore, the 2024 academic requirements for NSFAS returning students are as follows:
- The applicant must be a citizen of South Africa
- Must be a SASSA grant recipient
- Must have a combined household income of R350 000 or less per annum
- Disability need to have a combined household income of R600 000 or less per annum
You will be given a chance if you are a returning student from 2018 who meets the pre-2018 academic and financial requirements. Students who began their studies prior to 2018 must have a household income of less than R122 000 per year.
READ ALSO: NSFAS Requirements 2024-2025
NSFAS supports registration, tuition, and different subsidies for students. These stipends include travel, living expenses, and educational materials.
The allowances for Universities and TVET Colleges differ. Below are the differences:
- Accommodation: As per the actual costs charged by the university (costs for private accommodation must not exceed costs for university residence)
- Transport (up to 40 km from the institution): R7 500 per annum
- Living allowance: R15, 000 per annum
- Book allowance: R5200 per annum
- Incidental/personal care allowance: R2900 per annum for students in catered residences
TVET Colleges allowances
- Accommodation in an urban area: R24,000 per annum
- Accommodation in a peri-urban area: R18,900 per annum
- Accommodation in a rural area: R15,750 per annum
- Transport (up to 40 km from the institution): R7,350 per annum
- Transport: R7000 per annum
- Incidental/personal care allowance: R2900 per annum
Students in their second year of study or who have previously studied without NSFAS financing are eligible to apply as long as they have not received any other sources of funding. Students who have previously achieved a qualification are not eligible to apply.
Do Returning Students Apply for NSFAS Again in 2024
- Yes, if you applied for NSFAS in 2024 or prior years and your application was not approved but you still need funding for 2024, you have to apply again if you meet the funding requirements for the 2023 academic year.
How Does NSFAS Check Returning Student Status
- If you are a returning student and wish to check your NSFAS application status for 2023, visit myNSFAS student portal at https://my.nsfas.org.za, log in with your username and password and click on “Track Funding Progress”.
Do Second-year Students Have to Apply for NSFAS 2024
- Yes, if you were approved for NSFAS funding in 2023 but did not register, you need to re-apply to receive NSFAS funding in 2024
For more details, visit www.nsfas.org.za
OTHER RELATED LINKS: